Life Quotes At CharmRoyal.com

Saturday, January 22, 2011

She's back!!!!

I want to thank Carey for Keeping you updated. I have been really spent taking care of Patsy and just had a hard time with my thoughts. But, Let me do an update before you all get used to Carey and don't want to hear from me any more.
Wed afternoon I was getting ready to go to Boise for a club meeting and at 4:30 I noticed that Patsy was not responding to me. I thought that maybe she was just tired or something but the more I watched her, The more concerned I got. I called Denise (her nurse) and asked if she could stop by. She did and her first response was that she looked a like she might be having a stroke. But we ran her stats and tested for body function and control and she seemed fine. her blood pressure was a little high which Patsy usually is. (that is why they always think she is having a stroke) Patsy was just staring into space and not responding. That is when things got really bad.
Now I have been with Patsy when she has had a seizure brought on by a vagal response. But even as much as they scared me, this was much worse.Watching her go through that and then seeing the blood coming from her mouth from what we later determined was a bite to the lip, was just about as much as I could take. The Nurse immediately gave her some Lorazepam. This is a knock out drug that works like a muscle relaxant to try to head off any other seizures. Patsy rested. At about 10.00 or so that evening, Patsy start twitching and moving around a bit. Not knowing what to expect, I called Denise and we decided to give her another dose to help her sleep through the night. We also gave her some Ibuprofen to help her in case she might be in any pain because of the seizure. I guess they are pretty rough on the body. Patsy slept.
Thursday night came along and Patsy was awake for awhile and she seemed to be staring at the walls again. I just didn't want her to have another seizure so Denise and I decided to give her another dose. She says that the doses are low level and It isn't hurting her. Patsy slept, I watched her. 2 night now with no sleep.
Friday, Patsy was relaxed and slept all day. Or at least she had her eyes closed. Nothing major happening but I did notice a little grimacing on her face so I gave her some Ibuprofen a couple of times. One bright spot, Katy called and I put the phone to her ear and Katy said hello to her. To her surprise and to mine, Patsy tried to talk to her and mumble a little bit. It made my day and Katys. Carol called (she has been working hard trying to help) and she suggested that we put her back on the meds from Denver to try to stabilize her. We had taken her off of them because it was over working her body and we were doing heavy doses of nutrition to the brain and body.
Patsy ate really pretty good yesterday. I tried to feed her something every two or three hours to help build her strength back up. I was back to feeding her with a syringe but and she still didn't open her eyes. I got her out of bed and she sat in the chair for about 6 hours. Moving her to the chair woke her a bit and she looked at me and a small smile and then back to sleep or what ever she is doing. So, I put her to bed last night and she was resting really well. I watched her until about 11:00 and then I crawled up in the recliner and tried to sleep a bit. I still checked on her about every hour but she did really well.
That brings me to today!!! I got up at 6:00 and did a few things. At 7:00, I decided to check her diaper and and see how she was doing. I pulled the covers back and she opened her eyes. I said hi and HOLLY COW!!! SHE SAID HI back to me. I told her it was nice to have her back and she smiled and kinda chuckled. I couldn't be happier. I gave her a kiss and she kissed me back. That was a something that she has not done since wed. I have been worried sick, literally!!! So I gave her another round of Meds from Denver and she went back to sleep.
So, what happened. Well, the nurse said she had no idea. Just that what ever has been happening in Patsys brain, this was just another one of those things.
What I have done that has been different????1. I moved her several times from her hospice bed to the couch and then to wheelchairs and back several times. 2. We pulled her off the Denver meds and started her on a rebuilding herbal treatment.
Did doing any of those things change the brain a bit to cause this???? I don't know the answer. I am just hopeful that she gets back to where she was on wed morning.
One more observation. From Katys call yesterday and my talking to her today, I have noticed that she is trying to talk more. While hugging her today I asked her if she liked hugs. She said no. she just wanted to sleep. I loved it.
I'll shut up now and report later on how she does today. Thanks for being there, RAZ

No comments:

Post a Comment